HELP!!”My ring is giving me a nasty rash!!!”

WHY IS MY RING GIVING ME A RASH?
O.K…
Before you jump up and down,scream”I’ve been had!”,cry and slander your local jeweller to all and Sundry*(It happened to me recently)-there may be a few different reasons WHY your beautiful handmade ring is causing you such irritation.
This seems to happen to less than 1% of my clients-so put that in everyday terms that’s like once a year I get the dreaded phone call.
Many people have an allergy to Nickel-nickel is NOT found in sterling silver,but tends to be used in cheaper silver jewellery -especially imported pieces from Thailand and Mexico.
Nickel can be found in some white gold rings as well-so try to avoid low carat white gold if you have a problem with Nickel.
Sometimes it’s the COPPER in sterling silver that irritates-my husband has an allergy to that..First the ring goes black and leaves a green mark on his finger,over a few day’s the green mark goes red ,then “blisters’ if he continues wear.
BUT I”VE WORN SILVER RINGS BEFORE AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM?
-But peoples chemistry can change,just because you were fine once-heavy metals in the body,stress and often “toxic overload” can cause allergies.I’m not a doctor or a chemist -but diet and lifestyle changes may need to be looked at.
Often silver rings that are manufactured are RHODIUM plated-meaning they are dipped once finished in rhodium to keep them shiny…It’s a popular practise and that may be why the “cheap’ ring on your finger does not give you a rash -unlike the flash fella you just bought!
OTHER POSSIBILITIES?
Bacteria trapped under the ring-I think this can get caught sometimes in the “holes’ or just in the solder lines…
Clean the ring thoroughally in cloudy ammonia and detergent -with HOT water and an old toothbrush..Then dip in hydrogen peroxide*(check with your jeweller first!).
Clear nail polish painted on the inside of the ring often works just fine.
Is it too tight?If you have sensitive skin you need to consider this ,especially with a wide ring.
Speaking of which -do take your rings off REGULARLY -let the skin breathe ..
ON A FINAL NOTE..
Don’t panic,slag off the jeweller to all your friends..
Ring the jeweller(me) ASAP..We will try all we can to make things better.
I have just found a product on goggle that supposedly elimates this-I’m looking into it..Seems only available in the States and it’s a white clear gel you paint on the inside of your ring,that just peels off when you don’t want it there..
stay tuned!!!